Tuesday, June 30, 2009

five awesome things about the washington metro area

one: weather
Okay, it's humid as balls. But at least you're not likely to get 80 degree weather in December. Of course, the DC area's idea of "sweltering" is about 20 degrees cooler than Oklahoma's, anyway. Marylanders/DCers are weenies. Yeah, I said it. Check back in when it's 110 degrees with 100% humidity, kids. Then we'll talk about me rescinding you being wieners.

two: ikea
Fuck yeah, there's an Ikea 15 minutes from my apartment. And you know what's great about Ikea? Not only does it have cheap furniture, but they also have Swedish meatballs. And Lingonberry juice! That's what's great about Ikea. Oh, and their shopping carts have wheels that move in every direction, all independent of each other. And that, my friends, is awesome.

three: music access
When I lived in Oklahoma, the closest venue I could go to to see bands that I enjoy was about an hour and a half away. It wasn't uncommon to go right out of state to Dallas or Kansas City for the good stuff. Here, I live, like, 20 minutes from Merriweather Post Pavillion (which sucks, but eh). I've been to four concerts within thirty minutes of my apartment since moving here. That is the shit, my friends. Also? Jersey? New York? Are less time driving than some of the places I went from Oklahoma. Like, you know, Kansas City. A+

four: shopping
Look, I used to have to drive an hour to go to a Target or a Kohl's or a mall that had a Sephora. Going to Hot Topic to frolick and mock on a whim was simply out of the question. They don't even have a Torrid store in Oklahoma. No, ANYWHERE, you guys. Here, nearly every mall has a Hot Topic AND a Sephora. And man, I love me some Sephora. (Also, somewhere out in Rockville is the biggest Barnes & Noble I've ever been in. At least until I go to the hugenormous one in B-more.)

five: the terps
My college's mascot was the Riverhawks. Now, that sounds stupid. Until you realize that the University of Maryland's mascot is the "terps". Now, this is not just a turtle, but a TERRAPIN. And that they say "fear the turtle." Now, IDK if you've ever met a terrapin before, but they are not particularly fearsome creatures. I mean, the worst thing they can do to you is pee on you. Now that's intimidation! They should've sprung for at least snapping turtles, because at least those things are scary and can hurt you. Terrapins, not so much. Never fails to give me a laugh when I see a decal on someone's car.

No comments:

Post a Comment